PopTards Podcast Eppy 18 - Clash of the Titans (Remake AND Original!)



Previous Episode:17 - Amazing Spider-Man: THE GAUNTLET!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Comics: Olympus Vol. 1, Reviewed by Tim Hershey

Olympus vol. 1, by Nathan Edmondson & Christian Ward, Image Comics

I chose Olympus because of my interest in Mythology. I heard good things about it, and knew the story was based around Castor and Pollux, and their bounty-hunter careers. I had no idea how Edmondson wrote or how Ward drew, so it was completely brand new to me when I read it.

My background is mostly mainstream super-hero. That tends to mean “normal” art. You know what I mean. I’ve been trying to branch out in the last few years, but I still feel most comfortable in the Marvel Universe. Ward’s art does not come from the Marvel Universe… It took a few pages to get used to the look, and there are a few panels that are a challenge for me to read (unable to identify the character, or unable to follow the action), but, in general, it really worked. I see influences from John Paul Leon and Tommy Lee Edwards (who also contributed a pin-up and alternate cover, respectively). I liked the colors, and was surprised to see green and yellow, two colors that are not used a whole lot, anymore. Sometimes the colors were a little too flat, but it tended to be a response to the story-telling, so it made sense. Before long, I was in this world that was sort of a transition between two worlds. Not quite the real world, but not quite the world of the gods (though we do visit Hades, too). Ultimately, I have to say that the art worked very well for the story, and I also ended up enjoying it.

As for Edmondson’s writing? Well, it’s pretty good. The story moves at a good pace, and everyone sounds like they “should”. The story is a pretty simple end-of-the-world sort of thing, with Castor and Pollux as our heroes, but it’s not really so simple. It’s an intelligent read, but not a snotty, “you don’t know as much about Mythology as me” kind of thing. You do not need to have a deep grasp of Mythology, but if you do know some stuff, you do get a little of that “Easter egg” sort of experience.

Hmm, good art, good writing, and a gorgeous product (this trade looks great!). Sounds like something definitely worth a try. And, I’m glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment